Monday, September 27, 2010

This Roadrunner made an appearance and was running along the road within the park. Isn't that appropriate? - a Roadrunner on the road? Ha! Not very punny, huh? Oh well. Dan had heard the commotion about the bird and quickly snapped a picture of the critter.

Wild White Petunia

Unidentified flower

Tufted Titmouse. "Whatcha looking at?"

Humongous Fly . Actually, this is probably an ordinary house fly. It had landed on my leg and I decided to practice with my Macro lens. I was shocked at the details that popped up within this picture. Can you believe this bugger has stripes?!? And, hair?!? These details are usually undetected by human eye. It is awesome!

Cardinal

We spotted a Woodpecker several times and tried to take pictures of them. This was the only halfway decent picture that we captured. I believe it is a Ladder-backed Woodpecker and a male one at that.

Our friendly "killer" rabbit, the Eastern Cottontail, with the red-eye removed. Not bad.

These Caroline Wrens are flighty creatures - they're constantly moving and flittering about in the woods. I was shocked when I managed to snap this picture at the right moment. Poor Dan, he hunted and stalked them trying to capture one with his camera and never succeeded. I was just lucky.

A Lark Sparrow visited us briefly. I was shocked with this also. You don't see many of these around.

We headed out on the road again, probably for ice, when we spied a flock of wild Turkeys. I grabbed my camera, hopped out the truck and snapped this picture. I think it's rather cool looking...


A dragonfly. This one was leary of me; but, I was patient and he got to be trusting of me and just sat there for the most part. I absolutely love the dragonflies along with the damselflies. You see them all the time down at the river. it's because of them that I have a dragonfly charm on my James Avery charm bracelet in honor of Garner State Park.
Okay, I have a question for you all. What happens when you leave your campsite to go down to the river, go hiking, go to the camp store or go anywhere else? Here is some evidence of what happens.

Vultures will swoop into your site to check things out. Actually, they are scavenging for garbage. I've seen trash bags left on the ground ripped open from these creatures. So, best thing to do is to hang up your garbage during the day and throw them into dumpsters at night.
Camping at Garner: Day 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your pictures are absolutely exquisite. I so enjoy birds and plants. I've never been to your neck of the woods so love seeing what lives and grows there. Thanx for posting.
Your photograph are magnificent. I wish you would give a times a closer break for to comment.
Thank you.
Brilliant, brilliant photos, and I was so impressed with the last shot. Just amazing that you can take it so up close to that little guy.